Art in the home doesn't have to be expensive! With a little creative painting and garage sales, thrifty shopping and discounted events, you can give your home the flare you want and show your style! Oh! And watching a WHOLE lotta HGTV for inspiration!
Ok, folks! I've had it!
I love my story MIDNIGHT CONQUEST, but since I've been working on this story for 17 years, I think I'm ready to puke on it! I understand the editing process and what one needs to do to get a book to publication. I've had several technical manuals, marketing materials and web sites published to know that true enough AND I've seen friends go through the process. However, in my recent experience with returning my revisions to The Wild Rose Press, I've discovered that I have a blind eye to the mistakes I am making. I wrote “passion” or some form of that word at least 10 times in two pages! I did this even though I re-read the pages AT LEAST five times. I'm usually pretty good about something repetative like that, but it's clear I'm not seeing things like that on this project. I think there are two reasons why… Continue reading
Wow! Been a little too busy for words…but aren't we all these days? We either overload our days with too much stuff to do OR we're TERRIBLE at time management! I think it's a little of both. PLUS with the upcoming holiday season, we have presents to make, buy or order; parties to plan for; parties to go to; and gifts to wrap! Oh my! I hope you're all having a wonderful season and your shopping horrors are kept to a minimum.
Aside from working full-time contract work at Sony Pictures Entertainment (conducting training and cleaning up training materials), here's what I have going on that's keeping me from my blog…
- Working on revising MIDNIGHT CONQUEST– My first book in a series of 6 books that I've come up with. I've had to rework the plot a bit at the encouragement of the editor at The Wild Rose Press. Check out my author site to see the updates on the story summary.
- Drafted up MIDNIGHT AFFAIR – This is the 2nd book in the BONDED BY BLOOD vampire romance series. I took the challenge for NaNoWriMo. Though I was only able to come up with about 30,000 words and did not “win” the competition/challege, the goal for me in taking the challenge was to come up with the storyline for MIDNIGHT AFFAIR. Mission accomplished! And I'm really happy with it. Check out my web site for updates on the story summary.
- Drafted Storyline for CAPTIVE HEART – OMG!!! This is a great distraction, but this storyline is quickly turning into my favorite! I have to fight everything to keep from working on it. Must finish MIDNIGHT CONQUEST! Anyway, I ended up in a situation with my laptop – but WITHOUT my thumbdrive holding my current writing projects. Since I wanted to be productive, I thought, “I”ll just draw up the storyline for that dream I had the other night about wizards and dragons.” Holy bat doo doo, Batman! CAPTIVE HEART is a fantasy adventure romance that takes place at a time when nature is segregating magickal beings and they are dying away, struggling to preserve themselves. Check out my site for the story summary!
- Updated EnchantedWoodz.com – I finally had the energy to put up some new pictures on the site. I need to take more pictures of the wands that we've done, so I only have two of them up there right now. Once I find the wands we've finished (had to put them away to make room for the family gathering we had on Thanksgiving), I'll photograph them and get them up. Check out the Tooth Faery boxes, the Dragon's Lair Brooms and the wands we have. Also, I've included a couple of pieces of our featured artist – Molly Harrison. We have a license agreement with her to use her artwork on our wooden items. You'll love her stuff! Check out the web site to see the new pictures!
- I Saw TWILIGHT – Well, I read the book and I saw the movie. I was impressed with the screenplay – it did a very good job at capsulizing the essence of the book without leaving much out at all. Great job! Don't know how many of you fans know about it…but Stephanie Meyer did a cameo in the movie. Comment in my blog if you recall seeing her. My boyfriend did not read the book and he is now looking forward to reading them. As a fan of vampire romance, I find the books well-written and I enjoy the saga of them…the continuing story. I've been a little to tied up with my own books to be reading hers. I've started on book 2, so I can't effectively comment on them as a whole, but I'm enjoying them so far. 😀
I have other things I've been working on, but this is quite enough in this blog. What about you? What has you busy this holiday season? Working on that book? Taking the time to relax? Expressing yourself creatively? Do tell!!! Comment on my blog and let me know what's having you run around this holiday.
I wish you all a very happy holiday season and my love goes out to you all!!!
That's my two pence…
WOW! Sorry for the inactivity, folks!! Been very busy lately…but aren't we all!
Currently, I'm working very hard at trying to get product finished for the upcoming Harry Potter Halloween Feast Ball (www.hpportkey.com). My boyfriend and I will be attending as guests as well as vendors. The proceeds of the fund raising event will go to Project Cuddle – a wonderful non-prof that makes a great effort at preventing babies from being abandoned. I invite you to check out their web site. As vendors, Enchanted Woodz will be providing wooden journals and school books for the Hogwart's student, wands, brooms and other magickal items, as well as jewelry boxes and such. For those of you in the Los Angeles area, check out their web site (www.hpportkey.com) for ticket information and location. The event will be the evening of November 1st in Redondo Beach, California – no one under 16 will be permitted to attend.
In preparation for the event, I just attended a broom making class! I had learned one way of making brooms, but wanted to learn a more “official” broom weaving and binding method. BOY was that fun!! I'll have to get some pictures and upload them. You'll get to see my first bound broom. I did pretty well, if I do say so myself! We learned the Appalachian weaving method. Very interesting and a lot more laborious than I thought it would be. I actually broke a sweat! Fun stuff!!
As some of you know, my book MIDNIGHT CONQUEST was reviewed by The Wild Rose Press and they've put the “Revise and Resubmit” offer on the table, so I've been pretty busy working on making those suggested changes. For those of you who are interested, The Wild Rose Press is both an e-book AND print publishing company. Typically, the books are released in e-book format and depending upon the sales generated from the publication, they are then moved up to print. They have a wonderful array of book distributors, so it's a great venue for getting your book out there via a small press. So far the editor I'm working with has been wonderful – very helpful with suggestions and resources and I completely agree with her suggestions for revisions. If they end up not publishing my book, I know my book will still be better for it.
On top of all that, I also work for Sony Pictures Entertainment – they contract me to conduct training for their new voice mail system they're launching. I work with them part-time on that project. As of yesterday, I was just hired to also do documenation – part time for ANOTHER department. So now that puts me at a full-time schedule with Sony plus all the above mentioned things. Looks like I'll be putting in a few more hours over the next several months! Wish me luck!
Thanks for your input fellow writers, readers, family and friends. I appreciate you visiting my blog. Let me know if you have any questions! Until then…
That's my two pence…
Last night I attended a book signing for Sherrilyn Kenyon at Dark Delicacies in Burbank, CA. She was there for the release of her newest and most awaited Dark Hunter Novel – “Acheron“. I'll be reading this once I finish with “Twilight”.
Sherrilyn was a JOY to meet! It was a long wait – about 120 of us stood outside with a number, patiently waiting to get some time with her and have her sign our books – but it was SOOO worth the wait! Not only was she sweet and open, she was even loving and affectionate. I was able to give her a big hug for a picture or two.
I told her about being an aspiring writing and having read all her books. She seemed genuinely excited for me and wished me luck, telling me to keep her posted on the progress of my newly finished novel – “Midnight Conquest“.
I loved it that Sherrilyn was so warm and loving to all her fans. She listened to each of them attentively and celebrated with them when they told her good news. Living here in Los Angeles, you see all kinds of celebrities and famous faces. I'll have to say that authors – by far – are the most approachable and maintain a semblance of humanity when they become famous. It is the rare actor you meet in this town that is down-to-earth and approachable. Of the authors I've met, I'll have to say Sherrilyn was the most friendly and sweetest to meet.
Dark Delicacies did a great job in organizing the event. 20 people at a time went into the store while the rest waited outside. It was a smart idea to arrange the number system to avoid any kind of animosity between fans about who was first, etc. Nice job!
If you get a chance to see her on her Acheron Tour, I highly recommend the visit. Check the venue at which you're going to see her. Dark Delicacies required that you purchase something from their store in order to be able to have Sherrilyn sign anything you brought with you. Also, I found out from a friend that she was able to purchase her copy of the book AND get her number several days BEFORE the event! That will save you time standing around if you get an early line number. Don't forget to bring one of those small canvas, fold-up stools to sit on during the wait. It will help the time pass with less pain for the feet and the back! But it really is worth the wait!
That's my two pence…
What IS it that women love about romance novels? For me, it's the fact that the Hero of the story can't get enough of the Heroine. She walks across the room and he gets a hard-on just looking at her! THAT'S the kind of relationship I wanted! Eh…that's simplifying it, but it's an element.
Both my ex's said men like that didn't exist…as most men will agree. As a writer of romance novels AND having gone through two divorces, I myself began to wonder if any man would be able to live up to that image. “But,” I reasoned with myself, “there has to be SOME truth about these romance novel heroes.”
Believe it or not, there really IS some truth to those stories. I know. I finally have my Romance Novel Hero! But here's the fact and fantasy that I've learned about finding your true Romance Novel Hero and what the misconceptions really are…misconceptions that I also fell into.
WHAT IS The Romance Novel Hero?
In the books, the Hero usually can't keep his hands or his mind off the Heroine (e.g., libido through the roof), he pursues her with a passion, is physically appealing, and he sees something about her that's irresistible. When you break it down in those terms, doesn't he look a little more realistic? No? Then let me explain…
The part most men seem to be intimidated about and why they feel they can't measure up to the Hero is the libido. I've done my research and I've asked a LOT of men about this topic. It's their manhood that is threatened. Having been through two divorces and finally finding my own Hero gave me a lot of insight into the truth about that constant libido. Another source was the book “He's Just Not That Into You” by Greg Behrendt and Liz Tuccillo. Ladies…do NOT avoid this book! This book tells you the TRUTH about men and how they behave toward women…and sometimes the truth hurts. Read it!
The truth about the romance novel heroes is not sexual virility. It's true love. When a man is head-over-heels in love with a woman, he cannot get enough of her! The Hero feels that way about the Heroine because he has found his true love. It is NOT about how he can go “SCHA-WING!” by looking at ANY woman. Any man can go “SCHA-WING!” when he's with his true love.
Look Into My Eyes!
You know the saying…”Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.” I understand that sex sells and the eye candy on the cover is what gets us to pick up the book. But when we're talking about the truth, he's sexy to HER. Both the Hero and the Heroine only have eyes for each other. It goes deeper than the eye candy, but frequently the covers of our books distract the average individual from that truth. YOUR Hero in real life is attractive to YOU. He makes YOUR pulse race when you see him. He makes YOUR stomach flip when he draws near. And you should be doing the same for him…it's a two-way street. That's what makes it true love. One-sided is just bordering stalker level.
Both the Hero and the Heroine find SOMETHING about each other they can’t explain or they don’t understand. Her faults may grate on everyone else around them, but to the Hero they don’t matter as much; and the same goes for the Heroine about the Hero’s faults. This CAN happen. Everyone has faults, but your true love has too many pros to worry about the cons. That’s how you know you’ve found the right person…you BOTH feel that way about each other.
One big lesson I learned about relationships: You CANNOT change the person you’re with nor can you expect them to change in any way, shape, or form. If you list the pros and the cons about the person you’re considering spending the rest of your life with, look closely at that list of cons. Ask yourself one question: “If s/he NEVER changed any of those things, could I live with that for the rest of my life?” If the answer is “no”, then you’re with the wrong person.
Raise That Bar!
Can you find the true love of your life and find the one you dream of? Absolutely! I’m a firm believer of that! So why are we unhappy or our relationships end in divorce? I think it's because we settle for second best. Meaning, we grab onto the first guy that comes along because we think we’re not going to get any better than that. Here are two steps to success in finding your Hero:
- Look into that mirror and truthfully be able to say, “I love that girl I’m lookin’ at!” And you need to MEAN it! Yeah, you have flaws – and it’s not to say you can’t work on those. But when it comes down to the end of the day, who are you inside and do you love that woman? If you cannot say you love yourself and that you would be your own best friend, then you need to work on that. It really is true: If you can’t love yourself, you can’t love anyone else. That's how we attract losers…if we think we're a loser, we get a loser – like attracts like.
- KNOW what you want in a life partner…AND DON’T SETTLE FOR ANYTHING LESS! The fear that we are going to miss out on the perfect mate is completely unwarranted. There are SIX BILLION people on the face of this planet. Odds are there is more than just ONE person out there that meets your criteria.
Love yourself FIRST. Then know what you want in a mate. Believe it! Put that energy out there and it WILL happen! (Watch “The Secret” if you don't know how to do that.) And don’t give up! I am a firm believer that anyone can find their Prince Charming and live happily ever after!! Go for it!
That's my two pence…
Well, I'm not ENTIRELY new to blogging…I've done it on MySpace.com…but this is a new environment for me here.
Why did I do this?
As a writer, I'm looking forward to reaching out to my soon-to-be readers and fellow authors. Though I write romance novels and also have an interest in writing for the juvenile audience, I plan on using this venue to also buy xanax with mastercard reflect on the world around us and on life in general. I will attempt to remain positive. I'll use my MySpace.com blogging to vent. 😉
As an artist, I plan to use this space to explore and inspire myself and others about the magick that is all around us! Eh, it sounded good!
That's my two pence…